Happy Black Friday! Is it just me or does it feel like as the kids get older it gets harder to find gift ideas that are fun and satisfying for Christmas morning? I personally think the 0-5 set are much easier to buy gifts for, so this year I divided my gift ideas for kids into two categories: gifts for early elementary kids and gifts for upper elementary kids and teens. I also know so many of us feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff we’ve been accumulating that we’d rather not add to the clutter. If you fall into that camp, check out this post for gift ideas for kids that are not toys.
Gifts Ideas For Early Elementary Kids
- Squishees. // I think squishees were originally created for stress relief but my kids just love collecting and playing with them.
- Educational placemats. // We had these placemats when my kids were younger. They are great for keeping younger kids entertained at the dinner table. And great for reinforcing math skills to boot!
- Harry Potter Wizard Training Wands. // We don’t have these (yet) but I know my kids would love these motion sensitive wands.
- Card Games. // Sleeping Queens, Rat-a-Tat Cat, and Wig Out have all been a hit at our house. They are also perfect for toting along on trips.
- Cooking Utensils: Measuring cups and spoons and safety knives. // These tools will inspire your kids to initiate their own creations in the kitchen. If only they came with someone to clean up the kitchen afterward! Shop measuring cups and spoons and safety knives here.
- Plasticine Clay and Movie Maker Kit. // I talked all about how fun this is for inspiring creativity in this post. The clay is great for the early elementary set and the movie maker kit is satisfying for the upper elementary age groups too.
- Pancake Molds. // Sunday morning pancakes have always been a hit in our house. These animal-shaped pancake molds are under $13.
- Slime. // I haven’t met a kid yet who doesn’t love a slime making kit.
- Art Supplies. // If you have a budding artist at home like I do, then an art supply kit and drawing pad will be a big hit.
- Magnatiles. // You just can’t go wrong with magnatiles. We got our sets in preschool and my youngest still loves to make creations with them. They are pricey but worth it.
Gift Ideas For Upper Elementary Kids & Teens
- A drone. // We’ve never had one of these but they look like a ton of fun. This one is highly rated and under $40.
- Fun Bedding and/or Faux Fur Throw. // As my daughter has gotten older the idea of personalizing her room has become more of a thing. Get her a fun set of sheets for her bedroom like these. Also, the throws that belong in our family room always seem to disappear to the bedrooms. Give them a faux fur throw of their own–this one is a favorite.
- Coding Kit. // I’ve heard great reviews on the Boolean Box, a self-contained coding kit for girls.
- Travel Kits/Personalized Bags. // They’ll get a lot of use for these on sleepovers, sleepawaycamps, and travel sports away weekends.
- Video Game headphones. // These seem to be a universal want for any kid who likes gaming. We have these and they are under $20
- A watch. // If you really want to splurge, get them an Apple Watch. But a regular old sports watch like this works just as well.
- Starbucks/Ice Cream Shop Gift Cards. // They’ll get a lot of use out of these at their after school hangout spots.
- A diary or journal. // So old school, but a journal like this is great for recording memories and getting out the teen angst.
- Canvas Print For Your Child’s Bedroom. // Enlarge a favorite photograph of your kid playing a sport or with besties for their bedroom.
- Tickets to a sporting event or concert. // You can choose a concert or sporting event to go to together for some quality parent/child one on one time. Download the Bands In Town app to find out which concerts are coming to your area.
Larger Gifts For the Family
- Ping Pong Table. // My kids are hooked on playing ping pong at every opportunity. I really like this one.
- Trampoline. // I’m a big fan of the Springfree trampolines. Use code USBF18 for three free trampoline accessories with your purchase.
- Bumper Pool Table. // If space is tight, this bumper pool table is a close substitute for a regular pool table.
- Basketball Hoop. // This driveway basketball hoop served us well for a long time. I like that the height is adjustable for younger and older kids.
- Surprise Family Trip or Parent/Child Getaway. // The value of one-on-one time with a child or quality time together on a family getaway is priceless.
If you like this post please subscribe to receive regular email updates. Did you know that now you can follow a hashtag on Instagram? Follow #lunchwithagirlfriend. For more inspiration, you can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest .