I think I’ve been open about the fact that I’m not a huge fan of cold weather. And, yes, I grew up in Michigan so technically I should be used to it. But there’s a reason why I don’t live there anymore. As much as I try to embrace the cold, I just really don’t care for it. I think that’s why clothing plays such a big part of my life. When it’s cold and grey and dreary out, if I get to wear a new sweater or something I really love it helps me forget how much I’m not a huge fan of this time of year.
A winter dress coat is a classic piece that never really goes out of style and will be worn everyday if you live in a place that gets cold in the winter (like here on the East Coast!). Classic-cut winter coats worn with joggers and sneakers are trendy right now so even in the super casual world we live in investing in a winter dress coat is still a good idea. While traditionally you might think of a dress coat for office or evening attire it is being reinvented and worn in the most casual ways. Somedayyyy you may even wear it to go to your office again!
This is the best time of year to shop for a winter coat because we are smack in the middle of winter sales. Here are a few tips to consider when shopping for your winter dress coat:
- Consider your height. If you are on the petite side, a longer coat has the potential to swallow you up and overpower your frame. A shorter length may be better for your proportion.
- Look for a classic silhouette such as a trench coat style, wrap, or collar-less feminine styles
- If you are larger on top, a double breasted coat can make you look wider.
- Consider how cold your climate is and how many layers you usually wear. You will want to be able to stay warm and move freely especially through the arms.
- Look for a good fit from the shoulders.
Here’s some outfit inspiration for ways to wear your winter dress coat this season.
Shop this Look
If you like this post please subscribe to receive regular email updates. Did you know that now you can follow a hashtag on Instagram? Follow #lunchwithagirlfriend. For more inspiration, you can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest .