I’ve never been a huge fan of the price fixed Valentine’s Day dinner arbitrage that restaurants impose on hapless couples. So today’s post is a compilation of fun alternative ideas for celebrating Valentine’s Day with the one(s) you love.
Everyone can appreciate a day of self care and relaxation. Even better if you can make a date of it. If you are looking for options in the Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C. area, these are some great options to try:
- Salamander Resort and Spa in Middleburg, Virginia
- Spa Minerale in Landsdowne, Virginia
- The Spa at Mandarin Oriental in Washington, D.C.
- Sugar House Day Spa in Alexandria, Virginia
I love the idea of having a date and learning a new skill together. I’m not much of a cook but I can certainly follow a recipe. Even if you are not as culinary-challenged but want to learn how to cook a certain cuisine or expand your repertoire, a cooking class could be a fun activity to do together. I’ve always wanted to try a cooking class at Culinaerie in D.C. I also hear that Sur La Table is a wonderful place to try a cooking class.
Grab your sweetheart’s hand and go ice skating at one of the outdoor rinks that pop up all over D.C. and surrounding areas in the winter. Afterward grab a drink at a chic nearby bar. Below are some quaint local area rinks to check out.
- National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink
- Washington Harbour Ice Rink
- The Wharf Ice Rink
I’m a huge fan of live music and entertainment. I scoured our local area eventbrite listings for some fun events on Valentine’s Day in Washington, D.C. and found some compelling options that I’ve included below. If you are not local, eventbrite listings are a great way to find out what is happening in your area.
- Back to the 90s Valentine’s Day Party at Saint Francis Hall, Washington, D.C.
- Sweet & Sour Valentine’s Day Comedy Show at Busboys & Poets, Washington, D.C.
Ideas for a Galentine’s Celebration
While most of the ideas above will also work for a Galentine’s celebration with your girlfriends, here are two options to consider that sound really fun for a gaggle of girls!
- Beyonce vs. Rihanna Valentine’s Day Celebration at U Street Music Hall, Washington, D.C.
- Dance Party/Hip Hop Workout With A Live D.J. at 305 Fitness in Washington, D.C.
— Shop this Post —
Photography by Lesley Forde
If you like this post please subscribe to receive regular email updates. Did you know that now you can follow a hashtag on Instagram? Follow #lunchwithagirlfriend. For more inspiration, you can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest .