There are lots of weddings happening right now as people’s cancelled weddings are being rescheduled. I’ve been hearing from a bunch of you that you are looking for ideas on what to wear to your summer weddings.
:: WHAT NOT TO WEAR TO A WEDDING
Before moving on to what to wear, let’s discuss for a moment what NOT to wear to a wedding.
- While a lot of traditional fashion rules are outdated, one rule that still stands is that white is reserved for the bride alone. That includes showers, the rehearsal, and wedding related events. This is the bride’s day and she is the only one who gets to wear white!
- I know must of us wouldn’t do this but a gentle reminder that a wedding is not an occasion where it is appropriate to show too much skin.
- It’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. With so many weddings being rescheduled and people being more creative about venues it might not be obvious how dressy you should be. It’s always better to err on the side of overdressed. If you are unsure, you can swap out the high heels with a. pair of flats you keep stashed in your car. It’s easier to dress down an outfit later after you assess the situation rather than to arrive underdressed and be stuck.
:: DECIPHERING THE DRESS CODE
- Black Tie/Formal. When you receive a wedding invitation that specifies black tie or formal attire this means wear a very dressy outfit. Think floor length gown.
- Cocktail Attire/Semi-Formal. If the invitation says “cocktail attire” the dress code is easier to understand — wear a cocktail dress! Most retailers online have already created a subcategory of cocktail dresses so that makes it easier to find. A longer length dressy jumpsuit is an alternative if you aren’t up for a dress. This is the catchall dress code for a wedding when a dress code isn’t specified.
- Daytime/Informal. If an invitation says “daytime” attire, this is an opportunity to wear a casual sundress. Rompers and jumpsuits are also appropriate. Jeans are NEVER appropriate to wear to a wedding.
:: PRETTY COLORS AND FLORALS
So what should you wear to a summer wedding? Florals and pretty colors (but not neon) are a great choice. A LBD is a good standby. I’ve rounded up some of my favorite options below.
FAVORITE BLACK TIE/FORMAL GOWN IDEAS
FAVORITE COCKTAIL/SEMI-FORMAL DRESS IDEAS
FAVORITE DAYTIME/CASUAL DRESS IDEAS
If you like this post please subscribe to receive regular email updates. Did you know that now you can follow a hashtag on Instagram? Follow #lunchwithagirlfriend. For more inspiration, you can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest .